Tuesday, February 21, 2012

lost and found


I went to the Long Beach aquarium Friday afternoon. I wanted it to touch my bad mood and it did, but not before I made a comment. There is such effort and artistry put into keeping those ecosystems alive. So much work required to maintain it. Why bother when everything will die? "Everything will die." Vocalizing this felt darkly childish, but I still expected it to ring true. It didn't. I've been thinking about why not and have come to this conclusion (a notion I have been introduced to before but which hits home ever so often in new ways): life never dies, it only goes in and out of experiencing itself (as a sea urchin, anemone, jellyfish or me, for instance).

Looking in the tanks you see that they are teeming with life - from very low to sophisticated levels of intelligence - but life just the same. How could life die? Only things die. Our different faces give the illusion of separateness. Faces whose expressions, nonetheless, endlessly reflect the same thing. Whole and inseparable. Even though we are given names and tend to eat each other. What a brat I was to have said something like that, even for effect. I suppose I'm afraid of death, of loss.

J.G. Bennett writes that it is "a risk to go forward in spiritual life, because all progress in the spiritual life must come from dying in order to be born again. Every step is a death, and everything that one finds is a new birth." I can't argue. This bad mood I've been in really had me by the balls for a few extraordinarily long and messy days. I was it's bitch. But I still did my sitting and practiced my guitar. It was in doing these that I found the strength and the wherewithal to ask for help. And there was no mistaking when it arrived. 

I've said before that I am like a dead thing all the moments between noticing. This was no less like being raised from the dead. I was struck from out of nowhere with a sense of renewed compassion for my self. I suddenly, lovingly, occupied my own body again and breath flowed in. This experience of relief had no clear connection to anything in my head or amongst my surroundings. A weight had literally been lifted from my shoulders. A weight I had already tried, and failed, to lift myself.

It was a good lesson for me. We prepare the soil. We lay the ground with our work. We strive to survive and to find balance, to become the architects of our own internal and external environment, but it's not enough. There is something we simply cannot plant in our own hearts but must be placed there for us. If it weren't for life continuously and uncontrollably flowing in and out, with its own will and its own purpose, we would still be lump of some mythological clay waiting for God's breath to invigorate us. We would get lost, as we all must do, but never be found.  

4 comments:

Tony Garza said...

Have been pondering a question that arose last Sunday - "Is death Objective?"

This question led to my re-examination of the chapter in BTTHG, The Inevitable Result of Impartial Mentation, which closes with:
“The sole means now for the saving of the beings of the planet Earth would be to implant again into their presences a new organ, an organ like Kundabuffer, but this time of such properties that every one of these unfortunates during the process of existence should constantly sense and be cognizant of the inevitability of his own death as well as of the death of everyone upon whom his eyes or attention rests.
“Only such a sensation and such a cognizance can now destroy the egoism completely crystallized in them that has swallowed up the whole of their Essence and also that tendency to hate others which flows from it—the tendency, namely, which engenders all those mutual relationships existing there, which serve as the chief cause of all their abnormalities unbecoming to three-brained beings
and maleficent for them themselves and for the whole of the Universe.”

Your blog illuminated this question in a helpful light.

Erin Victoria Wigger's insights are much appreciated.

Tony

erin v wigger said...

Tony, thank you so much for the quote and your comments! Very, very thought provoking!

It also comes to me frequently the idea that, if I really want to know, my ability or inability to complete (as opposed to finish or end) things, even small things, relates directly to the kind of death I'll have. That death is not in the future so much as it is now and the practice of completion, especially when I encounter strong resistance to it, acts as a kind of preparation for my eventual bodily death.

It sounds a bit morbid maybe, but I take comfort in the idea that we can practice for death - as though it's a performance of sorts, albeit a very final one. :)

Tony Garza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony Garza said...

My sense is the death of the now is an act of a, or the, divine performance. Very much like JGB's expression "Every step (in the spiritual life) is a death. This does not feel morbid in the least.

Seems very timely for the beginning of Lent :)

May your heart be filled.